4/18/2007

Grammar point: 進行式代替未來式

English, Baby!: Business Traveler(此連結有效期限一週,逾期需入會員才可瀏覽。)

The forms will and going to are used to talk about the future. In addition to will and going to, most native English speakers use the present continuous tense ( [be] + -ing) to talk about things happening in the future.

In the conversation between John and Taylor, John says: "I am going to Montreal." Though he is going to go to Montreal in the future, he uses the present continuous am going to talk about his trip.

Similarly, Taylor says: "I know that you're going to be meeting with business clients." He uses the going to form to talk about the future, but he could also say "I know that you are meeting with business clients," to talk about a future event.

Other examples include:

Tomorrow I am eating at my friend's house.

We are flying to Amsterdam this summer.

She is throwing a party on Friday night.

1 則留言:

匿名 提到...

I think you have an awesome blog here.

I am an American who teaches English in Taiwan.

I have told my students to come visit here before and will tell my new students too.

Keep posting! You are not only improving your own English, but heping others to do so as well!!